Patient Rights & Responsibilities
As a student receiving services at the Eric Cohen Student Health Center, you:
Have the right:
- To considerate and respectful health care.
- Whenever possible, to select your own provider.
- To be seen in a timely manner for your health concerns.
- To receive complete information regarding the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of your health problem.
- To receive adequate information necessary to provide informed consent prior to the start of any procedure, test or treatment.
- To refuse treatment, or to ask for a second opinion, or an alternative course of treatment, and to be informed of the medical consequences of your actions.
- To ask for a prescription for an outside pharmacy or to have diagnostic tests performed at another facility.
- To privacy concerning your health care. All care and counseling received at the Eric Cohen Student Health Center will be kept strictly confidential, except as required by law.
- To access your medical record. In accordance with Eric Cohen Student Health Center procedural guidelines, you may review your record with an authorized staff member. You may receive a copy of your medical record, or designate a Health Care Provider to receive a copy of your record on your behalf.
- To receive an explanation of any service charge incurred.
Have the responsibility:
- To give your provider and the other Eric Cohen Student Health Center staff members the same respect and consideration you would like to receive.
- To provide complete, honest information to your provider and to other Eric Cohen Student Health Center staff members, so that the best decisions may be made about your healthcare.
- To cancel or change your appointment in a timely manner, in order to allow others in need to have access to a health care provider.
- To make sure that you understand, or that you ask questions in order to clarify your understanding of your medical condition and treatment.
- If you agree to a course of treatment, to yourself and to the clinician to follow the prescribed instructions, including completing medication and returning for follow-up appointments.
- To be cost-conscious, to use the service wisely, and to pay any bill promptly. You should be aware that any service obtained outside of the Eric Cohen Student Health Center is your financial responsibility.
If you have any questions about these rights and responsibilities, please do not hesitate to ask any ECSHC staff member.