Waiving USC Health Insurance
1. Register for Classes.
2. Wait 5-7 business days after registering for classes
3. Read over the waiver criteria below
4. Go to the Aetna Student Health Website and complete the online waiver (directions below).
5. Wait to receive an email confirmation regarding your submission.
What is a waiver?
A waiver is a request to opt-out of the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. If you are covered by a comprehensive insurance plan meeting the University’s requirements (detailed below), you may submit a waiver request through our online process. All waiver requests are manually reviewed by our health insurance department and a decision will be made within 30 days of receipt and sent to you at your USC email address.
What are the waiver request deadlines?
Students should submit a waiver request by the following dates:
Fall 2018: September 07, 2018
Spring 2019: January 25, 2019
FIRST YEAR OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY STUDENTS starting classes in the summer have a different procedure than described below. Please contact Sylvia Carabante (firstname.lastname@example.org | (323) 442 – 5989) to find out how you should enroll or waive in the summer health insurance plan. Once you’re registered for fall classes, then you can follow the procedure below for the fall insurance waiver. Remember, first year OT students have to complete a summer waiver AND a fall waiver. Each process is different.
How do I request a waiver?
Step 1: Register for classes.
You must be actively registered for classes before starting the online enrollment/request for waiver process. If you are not registered for classes, you will not be able to request a waiver using the online system.
Step 2: Wait 5 to 7 business days after registering for classes.
Once you register for your classes, please wait 5 to 7 business days before attempting to go online and request a waiver.
Step 3: Read over Waiver Criteria below to make sure this is the right option for you.
Step 4: Review this picture. These are the fields you’ll have to fill out. You can use the Waiver Worksheet as an additional guide.
You may need to contact your current insurance company to obtain some of the information. We want you to use the following guide as a reference tool before you begin your online request to ensure you have all the information required for a correct waiver request.
Step 5: Complete your online request for a waiver
All requests for a waiver must be completed online by the student. Make sure you have all of the required information before beginning – you are not able to log out and come back to the request at a later time.
- Have a copy of your health insurance ID card and the information you gathered from Step 4 above prior to beginning the waiver request.
- Visit Aetna’s Website
- Click on the ‘Enroll or Request to Waive’ icon on the far right.
- Log in to the USC system with your USC Net ID
- For the first question, indicate that you are an on-campus student
- Complete the waiver request before the deadline.
- We may contact you at any time to request adequate proof of coverage. If your other health insurance coverage ends involuntarily—even in the middle of the semester—you may be eligible to purchase coverage through the USC Student Health Insurance Plan. Contact the Health Insurance department on your campus within 30 days of losing your coverage to find out if you are eligible to enroll.
What is the waiver criteria?
If you are automatically enrolled in the USC Student Health Insurance Plan and want to opt out, you may submit an online waiver request if your comprehensive health insurance plan meets the University’s requirements listed below.
Please note that additional criteria may also be necessary in order for your waiver to be approved.
- Students taking courses on USC’s campus must have coverage that is comprehensive with no major exclusions and have in-network providers (hospital and doctors) in the Los Angeles area.
- Satellite campus and online distance learners must have comprehensive coverage with no major exclusions and have in network providers in the zip code where they live and take classes.
- Provide continuous year-round coverage while you are a student at the University of Southern California.
- Your insurance plan must meet Affordable Care Act (ACA) criteria. Only plans in compliance with ACA criteria will be accepted. (No major exclusions such as maternity or mental health coverage allowed).
- Cover preventive care services at 100%.
- Have an annual combined deductible and out-of-pocket expense of $7,150 or less.
Upon request, you must be able to provide a copy of:
• Verifiable proof of coverage with student’s name (ID card, insurance policy or letter from insurance carrier.)
• Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and an insurance company contact phone number in the U.S. is mandatory. All claims must be processed in the U.S. and paid directly to U.S. providers.
Some of the reasons you may not be granted a waiver include:
• Most international plans are not accepted.
• Out of state plans with regional coverage only and Medicaid insurance is not accepted.
• If your current policy is not compliant with the Affordable Care Act.
Attention International Students:
If you are an International Student, please be aware that most international plans are not accepted. Your insurance plan must meet the minimum requirements to support your visa as well as the criteria above.
How often do I need to request a waiver?
You must request a waiver once a year in the fall semester. Waivers submitted in the fall are good for the entire academic year.
If you missed the fall deadline, or if you are a new, incoming student, you may request a waiver for spring/summer beginning in early December. Waivers submitted in the spring are only good for the spring/summer term. Don’t forget to submit a new waiver request in the fall.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please call the insurance coordinator at the HSC campus at (323) 442-5989.